- A Claim Form must be completed and signed by both the owner of the funds and the claimant. The claimant’s signature must be notarized.
- The claimant must sign the signature line contained in the white box on the claim form and the finder must sign the signature line contained next to the notary seal.
- An original, notarized Power of Attorney (POA) must be attached giving the claimant authorization to claim the funds on behalf of the owner. The owner's complete name, address, telephone number, and social security number must be present on the POA. The Franklin County Auditor's Office reserves the right to directly contact the owner to confirm a POA.
- All claims must have a clear photocopy of the owner's Social Security card and driver's license or State ID. Submit the original check(s) IF AVAILABLE. If the owner is a business, a copy of a document showing the company name and FederalTax ID number is required along with documentation proving the individual signing the form is an authorized agent of said business (business card or letterhead).
- If the owner is incapacitated, proper documentation from the Court to show a guardianship, custodial, or Power of Attorney relationship, and a court order, or permission from the guardian or custodian is required.
- If the owner is deceased, a copy of the death certificate and letter of authority naming the executor of the estate is required. We will not pay a claim based solely upon a will or death certificate.
- If the funds are from a lost heir account, the claim does not come to this office. You will need to contact the Franklin County Probate Court at 614-525-3894.
Once the claim form is received in our office, processing takes approximately 30 business days. Most claims require authorization to pay from the originating agency and may take a little longer. Sometimes the originating agency requires additional information for the claimant, such as previous addresses of the owners.The check is issued in the names of both the professional finder and the owner of the funds. The check is mailed to the professional finder.
Our unclaimed funds listing is not available in any format other than the web or hard copy. All the information we have on file is posted on our website.
Most claims require authorization to pay from the originating agency and may take a little longer. Sometimes the originating agency requires additional information for the claimant, such as previous addresses of the owners.